Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A very dramatic doctor's visit

So this morning I had to take Sadie to the doctor's to check on her pneumonia. First of all I could not find my keys, still can't find them. So, Nate had to bring me his keys and I was late getting to the doctor's. Sadie didn't want to go to the doctor's but I told her she wouldn't have to get a shot and the doctor would just listen to her chest. Get to the doctors, all is okay, Sadie will have to go to Primary's to get a chest x-ray to make sure it's completely gone. No problem. But, the doctor notices I didn't get a flu shot for Sadie, whoops! We never got them growing up, so I forget to get them for my kids. Carson got his in November, but needed a booster (no big deal, he did fine).

So, Sadie has to get a shot, and she has a meltdown. An emotional, histerical meltdown. When the guy comes in to give her the shot, she is so histerical that they have to call in 2 extra nurses to help hold her down. During this whole thing she is looking at me and saying, "Mommy, please don't let them give me a shot," and I start crying. I couldn't help it I felt so bad and the tears just started coming.

The best part is that when we finally leave and get into the car, Sadie, who is still sniffling, says, "Mommy, I was really brave, huh?" and I could not help but laugh and say, "yeah, Sadie you were, and I am having a GREAT day!"

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I cried for all of my kids shots for about the first three years of being a parent. I'm so sorry that it was a rough day. I hope you find your keys. I'm really glad that cute little Sadie found the silver lining and thought she was brave. What a sweetheart!

The Dabo's said...

Sounds like Olivia's 4 yr old appt. I had to hold her down and little kids are strong. She could of got all her kindergarten shots but the way she was acting I oppted for just the flu shot.

Nate and Marcie said...

Update: I found my keys, finally! They were in my coat pocket. Should have thought of that, should have been wearing my coat on this 10 degree day!

Kelly said...

Oh, I hate the "well, since you're here, let's give your kids the (fill in the blank of the shot your child happens to be missing) shot!" My doctor did that to Emmy with her kindergarten shots. I don't know if it's better to be able to prepare your kids or just spring it on them.

ray-ray says said...

Sadi's so cute to say that she was brave!! She deserves some ice cream. I have a horror story that happened a month ago with Lily and going to the doctors. It includes a male nurse trying to put in a catheter tube that was too big and could figure out why it wasn't going in. She was bleeding, and screaming, we both were crying, it was awful. Blake had his 9 month well-baby today and the first thing Lily says walking in to the office is "They're not going to poke me today." Kids remember everything!

ciara said...

This same thing happened to my sister in law, she actually made another appt for the next week because she had promised no shots. Why weren't you wearing your coat it's freezing!!!