Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bye bye binkies!

They had to go. I got so tired of saying "take out your binky when you talk" and hearing "MONKEY, BINKY!" wherever we went. It was a love-hate relationship that lasted almost 2 1/2 years.

We took Carson to build-a-bear on Tuesday night and had him put his binkies inside of a bear that he picked. Okay, it was actually the 2nd bear he picked, the first was downright ugly. But, he did it! And although the first night was rough, he's since then done great without them.

"Monkey" of course is still in the picture. To be honest I think I will be really sad the day Carson gives up his monkey. He's become almost a 3rd child for me, always there.

So, farewell binkies. Carson will miss you, me... not so much.


12 comments:

Julie said...

I have been thinking about this recently--when to get rid of the binky, so now I feel like I have a while!

mead family said...

That is such a good idea to put the binkies in the monkey. I never thought Chloe would give it up, but Halle never really wanted it so we didn't have a problem. I will have to remember that in case my next child is addicted.

mead family said...

oops I didn't read it very well it was a bear not a monkey.

Kelly said...

What a clever way to give up the binkies! I will have to remember that when Simon would actually be tempted by a Build-A-Bear. At this point, nothing is better than his "bippie".

Natalie said...

That is a really cute idea. Cambrie is so attached to her binkies. I keep threatening to give them away, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. I'll have to remember your idea. I tell her constantly to take the binkie out so I can hear her talk. It is annoying!

Jenn said...

What a great idea! I have heard of the binki fairy that magically takes the binky's to a fantasy land. But I love the idea of putting them in a stuffed animal!

Hopefully he does not go into relapse and mutilates the poor bear to get to the hidden binkies!
LoL can you imagine?

The Dabo's said...

I think that is such a great idea. I remember when you did it with Sadie. I always tell people the idea when they are struggling with the binky thing.

Lisa said...

What a great idea!!! I love it! Despite my efforts to have my kids accept a binkie and earn myself some peace and quiet - my kids never took to binkies - not a one!

ray-ray says said...

Such a cute idea! My kids are all hooked on "their" blankets. They won't go to sleep without 'em.

ciara said...

I love the idea of putting them in the bear, I'll have to remember that! Has it really been that long since I've seen your kids, Carson looks like a little boy in that last picture!! Time for another baby ;)

Brittany said...

You are such a cute Mommy! You always have cute ideas! Good Job! Hang in there, I know the battle of the binky!

Anonymous said...

That's a good idea. If Claire doesn't stop sucking her thumb by 2 and a 1/2 maybe we'll try that with her. Haha. Just kidding.