Saturday, July 26, 2008

Happy 24th of July....

I have to say I'm getting used to it. (The 24th holiday thing). But because I didn't grow up in Utah I haven't ever felt fully "into" the 24th of July, Pioneer day holiday. Every year I kind of forget about it until it's the day of, and then I feel slightly guilty for forgetting a holiday remembering the pioneers. This year I actually tried to schedule several things on the 24th, kind of not realizing that it was a huge Utah holiday. I tried to set up visiting teaching and got a laugh, "it's the 24th!" I do love that Utahns celebrate huge for this holiday, a huge parade and fireworks.... it's like 4th of July all over again. Maybe that's the problem, it's too much like the 4th. It needs to be unique, like everyone could wear bonnets and push around handcarts for the whole day. They could shut our power off, air conditioning, and running water. We could really feel like pioneers. Yeah, I think that would help me remember it a lot better.

8 comments:

estinger said...

I definitely don't want to be involved in the power outage holiday but I would pay GOOD MONEY to see your version. It definitely would help you remember the pioneers!!!

ray-ray says said...

I totally agree...

We moved up here from "the promised land", when I was 12. I got used to not having a big ol' celebration over the 24th. But I can remember going to the parades and other stuff.

But like you said, they should shut off the power and walk everywhere. ;)

Angelina said...

I don't think I'm up for wearing a bonnet all day on the 24th, but that is a clever idea! :) I love your blog! It's adorable.

Ciara said...

love the new background!
New traditions maybe I could go for bonnets but you're crazy this holiday is in July, I'll be keeping my air ON ;)

Jenn said...

Dont wish to hard for the last part. If anyone could pull it off it would be you. I can picture you in your cute homeade bonnet and apron. He he too funny!

Lisa said...

If you are still looking for a true pioneer experience - come on over! My washer has broken and it is not spinning ... you can help me ring the clothes out by hand.

The 24th is a bonus Holiday for us Utah folks - twice the fireworks, twice the friends and food!

Brooke Franco said...

I think I can help you Marcie. I will come over next year bright and early and I will power box you. Then you can tell us how great it was and how much you loved it! Then maybe we will join you the next year depending on how your experience was! ;) You are too funny!

Shellee said...

marcie- check your shade email. i don't have your regular email.